– I grew up on the Pacific Crest Trail. It actually comes down a mountain and you have to walk along a road and cross the river and then go back up another mountain. I lived on the road that the hikers have to walk on. Aside from that, my mom was the Postmaster for the post office on the road, and post offices are the life blood of the PCT. We had hikers for dinner at least once a week in the summertime. PS. they smell REALLY bad and are quite hairy, but they are very nice people.
|Home sweet home|
– I hate presenting in front of people. I used to go all pink and shaky and my heart would be beating a mile a minute and I would stutter a little bit. I have gotten a little better. I presented at work this week and I didn’t flub it too much. I still have a ways to go, but I am learning to control my fears, or to fake it! It’s a lot easier when I know when I am talking about and don’t really have to read from the cards/power point. Also, I have gotten better at saying, “I don’t know” or “I will look into that”. I used to really fear getting a question I couldn’t answer.
– I love going barefoot. I used to run around barefoot as a kid all the time and my parents would make me put on shoes because there may be gross things on the ground, but I still snuck out without shoes as often as I could. Now I take off my shoes as soon as I get home. A caveat: since the roommate got a dog, I wear socks because the floors are filthy! Then I take them off before getting into bed. I don’t want to put dirty feet in my bed.
– I drink a lot of tap water. I have a reusable bottle that I drink from and I fill it up from the tap. Even when I travel or fly, I bring one in my bag and fill it inside the airport. Disposable water bottles are such a huge part of our trash problem. Have you heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
– I’ve eaten ants. Not on purpose, but we used to have a bad ant problem in our house when I was a kid and once they got into the Raisin Bran. The little black ones taste slightly of peppermint. Not in a good way.
– I have to make my bed every day. Coming home to a mussed up bed would make me a tiny bit antsy. I really love coming home to a calm, serene space. It only takes 2 seconds, because I don’t tuck everything all the way in and I don’t thrash around a lot when I sleep; I just flop it back into place in the morning and I am good to go.
– A couple of gym peeves of mine: (1) people who crank up the speed or incline really high and then hold onto the treadmill while they are running/walking. I feel like it just creates back/neck problems and they would get a more beneficial workout if they just turned it down a bit and let go. (2) People who sweat all over and then hop off and you are waiting for them to come back and wipe off the machine but they never do.
– I almost never wear skirts. I will put on a dress for a nice occasion, and I own several skirts/dresses. I just don’t really feel that comfortable with my legs hanging out. I don’t really wear shorts very often either.
– I wear my hair up 90% of the time.
– I eat approximately 8 salads a week and drink roughly 3 cups of coffee a day.
– I am trying to improve my Spanish by getting Spanish books from the library, and by using a flashcard app. Now I just need to buck up and start working on talking to people! That’s the hard part for me (see: public speaking, above).
Do you wear skirts/shorts a lot? Do you speak a second language? What can you tell me that I don’t know about you?
I almost forgot to mention: Happy Valentines Day!