I think that this year I need to revisit my intentions and focus more on fewer more important things rather than several smaller less important things. This being said, there are a few repeats from last year!
1. Run a 100 mile race –This is one that has eluded me, but this year, I am going to try, try again! I know I can do it, but have unfortunately run into a few issues the last couple of times. However, I am going to learn from my mistakes (no moving furniture a week before a race!) and get back out there again.
2. Run 2,400 miles / Climb 450,000 feet — Last year I ran over 2,200 miles and climbed over 400,000 feet. I would like to increase both by about 10%.
3. Conquer the hills — There are a set of hills I regularly climb and this year I want to either (a) run all the way up it if I have not before, or (b) run faster up it if I have run the entire thing already. Here they are: (1) Marincello: 1.4 miles / 9% average grade / 682 ft climb / best time 15:41 total or 10:53/mi (03/16) (2) Bobcat: 2 miles / 6% average grade / 696 ft climb / best time 21:33 total or 10:39/mi (03/16). In addition, there is a loop that I do which I would like to get under a 9:00/mi pace on. (3) Regular 12: 11.6 miles / 2,200 ft climb / best time 1:45:00 total or 9:03/mi (03/16)
4. Read 52 books (with at least 4 of them off my home shelf) — I have consistently beat this goal each year (last year I read 72 books), however, I do not want to get into that rut of finishing something that is no longer fun just to say that I did it. So, as much as I love to read and will likely read more than one book a week, I do not want to force myself to do it. In addition, once again, I will try to cull my home shelves a bit by reading one book a quarter from them and probably giving them away afterward.
5. Bike or Run Commute once a week to work — Right now it’s raining, and so it may be a little while before this happens, but I want to either bike or run to/from BART at least once per week.
6. Try 12 new things — this can be a new place, a new food, a new activity, or…whatever! This is actually quite a fun goal and one I like setting and accomplishing!
7. Spend less money than last year — I know where I need to cut back (transportation is a big one), so this is totally possible, as long as I watch my spending. I plan to do this by continuing my quarterly spending check, as I have for the last couple of years.
8. Complete my yard project — this has been on the radar for a while, but I have not really been in any hurry. The plan is to get rid of the lawn and put in rocks/shrubs. I have already begun by planting a few things, but the main part, the groundwork, has been put off.. I just need to order (or forage) the supplies and get to work!
9. Complete my wall art / photo project — since I have moved in (almost two years ago!) I have been meaning to put some photos on the walls. I have even gone as far as painting some frames and ordering other ones. However, I need to pick and print out the photos, but I am dragging my feet on this. I have too many photos to choose from! I would like to get this done by the end of the year.
This is it! I have a couple of other small ones, like my yearly purge, but these are the main goals for the year. I think this year’s goals are all doable, as long as I get my plan together. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
What goals do you have planned for this year? Are there any goals that you duplicate year after year?